Exclusive gated communities in MalibuOctober 14, 2014 by Gregory Corman
With its 21 miles of coastline, Malibu remains the quintessential Southern California beach community. Quite a few homes here literally have the beach as their own backyard and Malibu has its share of exclusive, private communities as well, some of the most well-known of which include:
- Located south of the Pacific Coast Highway, the Malibu Colony was among the first areas of the city to be settled.
- As early as the 1920s, lots were leased mostly to the movie stars of the day, earning it the name of Malibu Beach Motion Picture Colony.
- Today, Malibu Colony is an exclusive gated community with multimillion dollar homes and prime beachfront properties inhabited by the rich and famous, many of whom are in the entertainment industry.
- This guarded, gated enclave with 24 hour security is accessed only through Malibu Colony Road from Malibu Road.
- Two large shopping centers and a golf course are conveniently located nearby along the highway, with Pepperdine University a short distance away to the west.
Malibu Cove Colony.
- Not to be confused with the older Malibu Colony, Malibu Cove Colony is farther to the west and is accessible via the gated Malibu Cove Colony Drive from the Pacific Coast Highway.
- The properties here count as among the area’s best in modern contemporary beach homes and are set on prime and very private beachfront lots.
- The beach continues westward to Escondido Beach and beyond to Paradise Cove and Point Dume.
- Not all premier real estate in Malibu is beachfront property; there are also homes on the canyons overlooking the ocean like the ones found in Serra Retreat.
- This exclusive and secluded gated community grew around a Catholic retreat home named after Junipero Serra, the founder of the first missions in California.
- The retreat was originally planned as the home of Malibu’s Rindge family, but was sold to the Franciscans in 1942.
- There are around 100 lots in Serra Retreat, with homes ranging from small single-family residences to sprawling estate properties with gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean below the wooded canyons.
- Access to this private enclave is through two guarded gates: one is through Serra Road from the Pacific Coast Highway and the other is past the shopping center along Cross Creek Road.
Other gated communities in Malibu are Sea Level Drive, Tivoli Cove, and Point Dume Club Mobile Homes, which have beachfront properties; while Sea Star Estates, Sea View Drive, Malibu West, Ramirez Canyon, Paradise View Estates, and Saddle Peak are landside neighborhoods. Check out our next blog posts featuring these exclusive neighborhoods!